In attendance: Madeline Beery, Hanan Bell, Teresa Metzger-Howe, Linda O’Gara, Kathleen O'Keefe, Koko Morgan, Doug Potter, and Dana Rosenbladt.
The October 18, 2017 minutes were approved.
Seattle Arts & Culture grants deadline was different than what was understood last meeting. We had not missed the deadline. Thus, we have had our grant accepted for next year. A new one time grant from Plymouth Congregational Church could be used to help with the Fall concert. It is called the Inspirational grant and is worth $1,500.
We had more member donations then usual. The match matching $700 in matching. Another way to get funds might be through IRA contributions. Members will be encouraged to think about donating this way.
Music Director Report
The 2017 Fall Concert was well attended by 160 people. The dress rehearsal at Providence Mount St. Vincent's Assisted living facility had 45 people attend in the chapel and 50 people listen in the rooms. An improvement to the Fall concert we be to reduce the amount of time for the plee to assist the homeless.
Selection of Officers to the Board of Directors and Their Terms
The Board members with terms expiring this year are Dana Rosenbladt, Hanan Bell, Madeline Beery, Gennie Winkler. Dana is retiring from the Board her position. The others were all elected to the Board at the Symphony's General meeting.
Below is a list of the Board of Directors and their positions.
President: Doug Potter
Vice-President: Gennie Winkler
Secretary: Koko Morgan
Treasurer: Linda O'Gara
Music Director: Teresa Metzger Howe (ex officio)
Membership Director: Bruce Sherman
Librarian: Hanan Bell
Venue Coordinator: Gennie Winkler
Publicity Coordinator: Kathleen O'Keeffe
Development Director: Madeline Beery
A new Venue Coordinator will be sought to replace Gennie.
Assignment of other tasks
a. Answer info emails
Bruce as Membership Director will be asked to answer emails from potential new Symphony members.
b. Front of house
Front of house and concert set-up we'll need to find some to assist with this now that Gennie is the VP.
Teresa was wondering if raisers would make a difference to the sound of the brass section. Maybe we should rent some and see if the sound is better.
Check in on one year action plan
One Year Action Plan
1. Increase orchestral membership for needed sections through networking - need to more basses
2. Develop a plan for donor acknowledgement - Kathleen & Linda
3. Raise orchestral donations in lieu of due increase
4. Improve relationship with the MCNW explore improving lighting and sound
5. Track audience size--need to get one person to count at the pre-concerts and concerts - Bruce
6. Need picture of the concerts for grants - Bruce
7. Document job positions - all responsible
8. Identify additional roles
9. Create a succession plan for the recruiting new Board Members
Need more board members - with new ideas and more ownership of the board
10. Survey the members at the end of the season to see how they felt the year went.
11. Secure funding for improving lighting, and sound baffling. Work with Music Center of the Northwest and see what they think of possible changes.
Next Board Meeting January 31, 2018 at 6:30 pm at MCNW.