Board Minutes for 6/9/2010

Type: 
Board
Date: 
Wednesday, June 9, 2010
Status: 
Approved

                                                Rain City Symphony Board Meeting Minutes

                                                Doug Potter’s Home

                                                June 9, 2010 6:30 p.m.

 

Present:  Maria Akiyama                   Doug Potter                Gennie Winkler

               Alan Shaw                           Cheri Paulin                Cari Sutton

               Teresa Metzer-Howe           Carol Horowitz           Bette Robbins

 

Old Business

 

1.  Fall Fund Raiser.   After discussion, it was decided to continue with a fall fund raiser for the University Churches’ Emergency Fund (UCEF).  Gennie will contact the fund’s office to elicit their assistance to use one of the UCEF churches, at no cost, for the fall concert on Dec. 1, 2010.  University Congregational, University Christian, or University Lutheran may be possibilities.  University Presbyterian has offered to assist with publicity to its congregation.

 

2.  April 28, 2010 board minutes.  Approved as posted on the web without comment.

 

New Business

 

1.  Member survey.  Member survey results were distributed and discussed.  Useful information included comments about venues, ensembles and member reasons for participation.  The results may be useful for use in securing grants.

 

2.  2010-2011 schedule.  Approved as proposed by Doug Potter.

 

3.  Treasurer’s Report.

     A. The proposed budget was approved with the following amendments: 

                      Music purchase     $120

                       Music rental          $150
                       Publicity printing  $250

     B.  Increase to member’s quarterly contribution was discussed.  The bank balance is

           very adequate to handle the proposed budget deficit of $311.  The orchestra does

           not have a reserves policy.

 

     C.  The Wedgewood Church rental agreement was approved as posted.

 

4.  Conductor’s Report. 

     A.  A tentative program for the year was presented and will be finalized soon. 

     B.  The requested purchase of the Vivaldi Concerto for 2 Oboes (CM) was approved.

     C.  The Bellevue Youth Symphony Orchestra program cover was presented as an      

           example for a way to reduce future costs and labor and serve as a “branding” tool

           for RCS.  Inserts would reflect the current season and be our only recurring cost.

     D.  Teresa requested that a simple procedure be put in place to select ensembles who

           would like to perform before the concerts.

 

5.  Membership Report.  Summary 2009-10

     Members:  Fall  51      Winter  54     Spring  53

     New members heard about the orchestra primarily through word of mouth and on line.

     In the last three quarters, three scholarships were requested and offered.

     Four members contributed funds above the requested contribution level.

     The member roster and email addresses were regularly updated as changes occurred.

 

6.  Library Report.   

     All music has been filed and/or returned to Teresa.

     A summer library work party is needed to pull and stamp music for the next season. 

     Given Cari’s uncertain schedule, Aki will schedule.  This will need to be coordinated 

      with the church.  Cari noted that Sat. afternoons often conflict with JoAnn’s group.

 

7.  Sectional Coaches.

     Teresa would like to hold off on brass coaches until she reviews the scores.

     And Teresa will get the strings music to Gennie one month prior to the quarter for 

     bowings and makings.

     We can continue with our use of past coaches.

-        Teresa will contact brass coaches.

-        Alan will contact strings coaches.

-        Cari will contact woodwinds coaches.

 

8.  Grants.

     At the April 28 board meeting, John Dunne suggested that the Board develop a “vision” for the orchestra in order to strengthen grant solicitation and renewals.  A Board retreat was proposed for the summer.  Alan graciously offered his home.  Aki will email Board members for available Sat. /Sun. dates.  John will be invited to help preside over the meeting.

 

9.  Other items.

     A.  Alan, as Vice President, will develop the next slate of Board candidates for 2011 for the annual meeting on Nov. 3, 2010.

     B.  Gennie suggested that a “social function” chair be appointed to take care of kitchen supplies and coordinate the Spring potluck.  Aki will make section “snack” assignments for the next year.

     C.  Wedgwood Church Keys FYI.  Teresa, Cari, Roy and Aki have keys to the building and library.

     D.  Proposed venues for 2010-11:

          Fall:  Norse Home and a University Dist. Church TBD

         Winter:  Four Freedoms and Beth Shalom or Faith Lutheran

          Spring:  Mirabella and Saint Andrews

     E.  Next Board Meeting:  Wed., August 18 at Alan Shaw’s, 6:30 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

Bette Robbins, Secretary

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

    

 

   

 

 

 

 

 

 

           

 

 

 



We are grateful for funding from King County 4 Culture, Seattle Office of Arts & Culture, and matching funding by Microsoft and Boeing.